Sonatas for Violin & Continuo (First Book, 1720)
The Callipygian Players
Martin Davids, director/violin
Craig Trompeter, cello & viola da gamba
David Schrader, harpsichord
Configuration: 2 CD set
Available: June, 2013
Recorded: Sept. 22-24, 2011
Booklet: 16 page
• World premiere recording of the complete First Book of Sonatas by Henry Eccles,
a member of a leading English family of musicians of the 17th and 18th centuries.
• Complete integral recording on period instruments, featuring Baroque violin virtuoso,
Martin Davids and members of Chicago’s leading period instrument ensemble, The Callypigian Players.
• Provides a rare window into the musical life of London during the little-explored years after
the career of Henry Purcell (1659 -1695)
• Includes the “borrowed” movement by Bonporti, which became Eccles’ most famous work during the
nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
• Performances are based on the original printed edition from 1720, achieving the ultimate in authenticity.